4 Situations Where You Might Need to Modify Your Divorce Agreement

Getting a divorce certainly has a feeling of finality to it, and while many things are permanently different after a divorce, some areas of your life might change down the line. If you have an agreement set in place that dictates certain child or spousal support requirements, or sets up a specific visitation schedule, these items might need to be modified at some point. Here are four common situations where you might need to modify your divorce agreement:

You’ve relocated

Some divorced couples choose to have a pretty involved custody schedule, often times allowing their children to see both parents multiple times per week. Others are more rigid and have certain days or weekends set aside for their kids. Whatever the case may be, if one of you has relocated a significant distance away from the other, it might be in your child’s best interests to make changes to the divorce agreement. You might find that spending time with your child for longer periods of time that are spaced farther apart works better for everyone.

You have a new job

Income changes are a common catalyst for needing to change the details of a divorce agreement. If your court order includes child support or spousal support, you will find that you may be able to change the terms of your order if your income has changed. Typically, if you’re at a new job that pays less, you’ll have few problems modifying your agreement to adequately reflect your ability to pay. When a new job brings in more money, you are completely within your rights to modify the agreement if you’d like to pay more support for your child.

You or your child are seriously ill

Your own extended illness can be a major reason to change your divorce agreement as well. If you aren’t able to work or even physically get out of bed, it’s quite clear that you don’t have the means to financially support your child or be present for your visitations. If your child becomes ill and their medical bills are adding up quickly, the court can rule to modify the agreement to require the other parent to offer more financial assistance.

You suspect safety concerns

Any time you have reason to believe your child is in danger when they are in the care of their other parent, you have the right to attempt to modify your divorce agreement. There might be evidence of drug addiction or mental illness, or if your ex has a violent partner that they are now exposing your child to. In any case, always put the needs of your children first and make sure they are safe.

Do you have a need to modify your divorce agreement but aren’t sure how to do it? Contact Topham Family Law today to discuss the changes you’d like to make.